Thursday, February 25, 2010

September - 2nd Draft -

INT. JONES HOUSE – NIGHT

INT. SEPTEMBER’S BEDROOM

All of the lights are off in the room except for the soft glow of a nightlight. The lull of an argument can be heard in the background between MOTHER and FATHER a few rooms away. On the bed is a 13 year-old girl SEPTEMBER JONES. She is visibly shaken as the argument progresses to a shouting match.

FATHER (V.O.)
Then I come home after slaving away for hours, only to have to deal with you and that little brat in there! All I want is to come home, kick off my shoes, and have a nice meal. Is that too much to ask?

MOTHER (V.O.)
It is when you ask with your belt to my face! Or to hers!

Tears stream down September’s face as she rubs her cheek. She glances toward the open delivery box with a half eaten pizza in it.

MOTHER (CONT’D.)
If you absolutely have to hit someone you hit me! You do not touch our daughter!

A loud crash from the other room makes September jump.

FATHER (V.O.)
You don’t get to tell me my business! Get back here!

Footsteps fade into a third room. A door SLAMS. September lays there in terrified anticipation. Her breathing is audibly heavy in the awkward silence.

FATHER (V.O.)
What do you think you’re doing? This is getting ridiculous!


MOTHER (V.O.)
Yes! It really is!

The door SLAMS again and the sound of a pistol FIRING three times startles September. She sits there as time dissolves around her inside the room. Tears run down her cheek as sirens sound from outside.


EXT. HIGH SCHOOL – AFTERNOON (3 years later)

It’s a rainy/muggy day. The school bell RINGS and a flood of children come out anxious to run home. One of the more subdued is a now 16 year-old September. There is a group of boys playing around, they accidently knock her into a muddy puddle and run off not noticing.

SEPTEMBER
Oh that’s perfect. Let’s just knock the nerdy girl into puddles, it’ll be fun. Boys.


EXT. MARTINSON HOUSE – LATER

September, wet and muddy, runs up the steps to the house and removes her shoes before entering.

SEPTEMBER
Aunt Kathy? Uncle Charlie? I’m home. School sucks like always. Where are you guys?

September walks into the kitchen to see her Aunt (KATHY) and Uncle (CHARLIE) standing in front of a table with a cake and some small gifts.

KATHY and CHARLIE
Happy Birthday!

September runs over to them and hugs each in turn. Charlie gives her a kiss on the cheek.

CHARLIE
How does it feel to be 16 kiddo?


SEPTEMBER
I think it would feel better with a car!

Her smile fades as she notices a plain brown package on the table.

SEPTEMBER (CONT’D.)
What’s that?

KATHY
Your mother sent it. Would you like to open it?

September bursts in to tears and runs to her room. Her aunt takes a couple steps forward intent on following her.

CHARLIE
Let her go dear, this is the first time her mother’s tried to reach out to her since the incident. There’s no need to make it any worse for her.

KATHY
Poor thing. I can’t even imagine what’s going through her mind right now.


INT. SEPTEMBER’S BEDROOM – LATER

September is curled up on her bed with a stuffed animal clutched tightly to her chest. She is crying.


INT. SEPTEMBER’S BEDROOM – AFTERNOON (flashback to 3 years earlier)

September’s mother is holding ice to September’s face. She has been beaten by her father. Her mother also wear evidence of her fathers rage. September is crying, her mother stopped crying years ago.



MOTHER
I know baby I know. You’re very brave.


SEPTEMBER
I hate him! I hate him!

MOTHER
Your father loves you very much. He just doesn’t know how to show it very well.

September manages to compose herself slightly better than most 13 year-old girls in her position.

SEPTEMBER
He certainly knows how to drink.

MOTHER
That he does.

Mother leans forward and kisses September’s head.

SEPTEMBER
And how to hit.

MOTHER
Oh baby!

September bursts into tears. Mother holds her close.

MOTHER (CONT’D.)
I know, I know. Just stick with it for a little while longer. Just think: your birthday is coming up soon. What would you like?

SEPTEMBER
In a perfect world I’d get to have a pony, but I know that’s not realistic. Sometimes I just like the idea of jumping on a pony and riding away.



MOTHER
Trust me, I know how you feel. How about this?

Mother adjusts September so they are staring into each other’s eyes.

SEPTEMBER
Yes?

MOTHER
You keep being as strong as you are right now and on your sixteenth birthday, not only will we not have to deal with your daddy but you will also get your pony.

SEPTEMBER
Yeah right mom. Thanks for trying to make me feel better. Do you think I could be by myself for a while?

MOTHER
Sure thing, would you like me to order you some pizza?

SEPTMBER
That would be awesome mom. I love you.

MOTHER
I love you too baby.

Mother walks out of the room and stands by the door before closing it.

MOTHER (CONT’D.)
Baby, when your dad comes back home tonight, why don’t you lock your door and put on your headphones.

SEPTEMBER
So like every other night?




MOTHER
Tonight might be a little different. I need you to promise me you won’t come out tonight.

SEPTEMBER
Okay mom I promise.

MOTHER
Let me go order you that pizza!


INT. SEPTEMBER’S BEDROOM – EVENING (Present time 3 years later)

September wakes from her dream/memories. Cheeks tear stained but her demeanor is mostly composed. There is a light knock at her bedroom door.

SEPTEMBER
Come in.

KATHY
Are you doing alright?

SEPTEMBER
No Aunt Kathy I’m not doing alright at all. My murderous mother decides to taunt me on my sixteenth birthday. I preferred it when she didn’t want to have anything with me.

KATHY
I’m sorry I know it’s your birthday but no one gets to talk about my sister that way. Maybe you don’t remember it clearly. She killed your father in order to protect you.

SEPTEMBER
Did she? She told me that night to lock myself in my room and not come out for any reason. He came home and she shot him!



KATHY
Oh you teenagers know everything don’t you? Did you know that your father was addicted to drugs? And I don’t mean he was a pot head, he was doing hardcore stuff. Your mother discovered a stash of heroin in his gym bag. That was when she bought the gun.

As Kathy explains this, the conflict of emotion pouring through September is palpable.

KATHY (CONT’D.)
Your mother confronted him about the drugs and informed him that she would be taking you away from him. He threatened her, burst into your room, whipped off his belt and slapped you across the face with it. Then he left to go to the gym. Guess why?

Tears formed in September’s eyes.

SEPTEMBER
Why wouldn’t she let me visit her in prison?

KATHY
She was ashamed to be honest. She said she couldn’t face her baby knowing that she took her father away from her.

SEPTEMBER
I miss her so much Aunt Kathy.

KATHY
I know you do Dear. Why don’t we go see what’s in that box?

They get up and head to the kitchen.

No comments: