Wednesday, September 21, 2011

No Dialogue! (a set-up)

So this week's class post was a puzzler for sure.

Here's what I was dealing with:

1. Here’s the set up: Oliver and Samantha have just had a huge fight. In the end, one of them makes up with the other. They can be lovers, friends, father and daughter, brother and sister or even strangers.

2. In your scene, I want you to try to make it clear what the fight was about and resolve the argument, but without any dialogue. One of them needs to make up with the other, and I’ll leave it to you to decide what the argument was about and how they resolve it.

3. You can write your scene in word, but remember that in order to avoid dialogue, you need ACTION. So don’t describe what they’re feeling or anything else internal – we have to see what they do, not what they think! And don't set up the scene for us, just dive right in!

4. Write it as if you were writing the description in Final Draft: That means write in the present tense, keep your paragraphs short and don't give us internal feelings/thoughts.

5. Next, post your scene.



So I grumbled for a few minutes then I wrote my next post...

No comments: