Sunday, November 20, 2011

Crestfall Beginning of Act 3

INT. NEWSROOM - NEWS BROADCAST - EARLY EVENING

STEPHANIE BROWN is a news anchor. As she goes over the details of the day, images of earlier events flash across the screen.

STEPHANIE
...and in tonight’s top story: A brawl broke out in downtown Neon City between, what sources say, looked like a giant and an angel. Eyewitness reports place the fight across various points throughout the city, ending pretty remarkably in Neon’s “Iridescent Park”.

CUT TO:


INT. MARIE’S APARTMENT


Marie sits on the couch, tears streaming down her face, she’s surrounded by friends and family as they watch the news. She can’t bring herself to look at the screen as Stephanie’s broadcast describes the worst day of her life.

STEPHANIE (V.O.)
While there were a number of injuries reported in the aftermath of the altercation, at least one fatality was confirmed. Doctor Kent Rosen was in the park with his fiancee when the fight was brought to their dinner. Dr. Rosen was one of the top surgeons in Neon City. He will be missed by the entire community and our thoughts are with his fiancee; Neon City Police Detective Marie Briggs.

As Stephanie speaks, Marie clutches a photo of her with Kent. She wipes away a tear and walks to another room.

MARIE
I’m going to go to work for a while. I need to clear my head.

CUT TO:


INT. GARBAZ’S APT.

Garbaz watches intently as the news story unfolds in front of him. Regret reads across his face.

STEPHANIE (V.O.)
One question on everyone’s mind tonight is: Who were these individuals? Joining me tonight in the newsroom is our Senior Crime Analyst: Eric Simms. Eric?

CUT TO:


INT. NEWSROOM


Sitting across from Stephanie is ERIC SIMMS. The format of the show switches to a more “talking heads” segment than a news story.

ERIC
Thank you Stephanie. Who are these people indeed? We have a “brute” of some kind and some sort of crestfallen angel. Both of whom seem to have a blatant disregard of everything from private property to public safety. We’re talking about a pair of murderers for Pete’s sake Stephanie!

STEPHANIE
Is it safe to say “a pair of murderers” Eric? It seems as if the giant was only interested in beating down the angel who, in turn, was playing mostly reactionary.

ERIC
In which case, she’s his accomplice at best! These looked like highly trained, well armed soldiers!

CUT TO:


INT. QUITLOVE’S OFFICE


Quitlove sits at his desk staring at the large TV inserted into his wall. He grins from ear to ear as the debate continues on TV.

ERIC (V.O.)
What kind of sick individuals hype themselves up on drugs and smack each other around town for fun? For fun! How many people are going to have to die before we start to get concerned? Today it’s giants and angels, tomorrow what will it be? Demons and ogres? We need to find the source of these freaks and cut it off at the head. And another thing...

Quitlove CLICKS off the TV. He stretches his legs on his desk, immensely pleased with himself. Theresa enters from off screen and hands him a large cup of coffee.

QUITLOVE
Everything is going according to my master plan Theresa.

THERESA
Of course it is sir. Never doubted you at all.

QUITLOVE
No, you haven’t. Don’t think I haven’t noticed, my dear. Has our guest been fully prepped?

THERESA
Yes sir. Mr. Brute has seen to the safety and security of Ms. Crest. She’s safely tucked away in suite 12.

QUITLOVE
Ah yes... suite 12. Did we ever get the roaches removed?

THERESA
No, sir.

QUITLOVE
Even better.

THERESA
Sir.

Theresa turns to leave.

QUITLOVE
Please send in Doctor Waters.

THERESA
Of course.

QUITLOVE
One more thing. Find me all the personal information you can gather on our Mr. Eric Simms, will you? No one refers to my children as “freaks” without facing some dire consequences.


INT. QUITLOVE’S WAITING ROOM - IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING


Doctor Waters is sitting on the pristine white couch in the hyper sanitized waiting room. White furniture and artwork pepper the white room and white shag carpet rests beneath her shoes. The only real splash of color is the red and black “Sinecorp” logo on the wall.

Doctor Waters looks as if she hasn’t slept in days. She’s disheveled and her hair is a frizzled mess. She’s staring into space until she’s startled by Theresa’s return. Theresa sits at her computer and CLICKS away at the keys. She looks over at Doctor Waters as almost an afterthought.

THERESA
He’s ready to see you now.

WATERS
If he’s busy I can always come back later.

THERESA
He’s always busy. It just so happens that right now, he’s busy with his meeting with you. If you don’t go in now you’ll just be wasting his time, and he doesn’t appreciate his time being wasted.

WATERS
Okay then.

She stands and adjusts her clothes. She catches her reflection in a mirror and mutters a CURSE. She regains her composure and enters his office.


INT. QUITLOVE’S OFFICE - IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING


As Doctor Waters enters, Quitlove rises to his feet to greet her. He grabs her hands in his and shakes them vigorously.

QUITLOVE
Doctor! I trust you’ve seen the news tonight?

WATERS
I have, sir. Congratulations.

QUITLOVE
When that bumbling Bob decided to throw a wrench in the fine machine that is my master plan, I thought for sure we’d lose everything. But you, my dear Doctor, have made sure that everything is flowing as we need it to. The success of Operation Crestfall rests on your shoulders, almost as much as it rests on mine. You should be incredibly proud.

WATERS
Yes, sir. I am, sir.

Quitlove catches a tone from Waters that suggest maybe she’s not incredibly proud.

QUITLOVE
Is everything alright, Doctor? You seem unhappy with our progress.

WATERS
Oh no, sir! Everything is fine. I’ve just been up for days refining the new formula. I want to make sure that everything is set for the next stage of trials.

QUITLOVE
Ah yes! The new formula.

WATERS
It’s just as you requested. Our original purple goo mixed with Crestfall’s own blood. My research suggests that after we’ve merged the two, we should be able to replicate the effects Crestfall herself experienced.

QUITLOVE
That, my dear doctor, is amazing news. Go take some time off and get some rest. Leave the serum here with me.

WATERS
Sir?

QUITLOVE
The serum. I know you have it. Leave the syringe here. I’ll see to it’s safe keeping.

WATERS
What are you planning on doing?

QUITLOVE
Planning? Doctor, you should know fairly well that I have quite a lot planned. If you need further proof, check out suite 12.

WATERS
Suite 12?

QUITLOVE
It’s one of our finer holding cells. You may leave now, Doctor.

WATERS
Yes, sir.


INT. SUITE 12 - EVENING


It’s pitch black. Everything is dark. Water is DRIPPING in the room. As Crestfall regains consciousness, light appears and we can see that she’s strapped to chair in a concrete cell. Roaches are crawling all over her body. Her clothes are torn and she is bloody and bruised from her fight with The Brute.

There is an IV stand next to Crestfall. It’s dripping into her arm. She’s startled as she awakes but she doesn’t have the strength to scream. She can barely move her head as a roach runs down her cheek. Her inner monologue is stilted and tired.

CRESTFALL (V.O.)
Okay. Again, ouch. Suck it up, Crest. Where are you. Okay. Gross. And apparantly, I can’t move. There’s some kind of drip in your arm. Okay. And your body is one massive bruise. I’m sure it’s nothing. No big deal for the big time super hero.

A rat runs across the floor.

CRESTFALL (V.O. CONT’D)
Okay. I’m pretty sure I’m going to die here. No biggie. Death I can handle. I’m at least going to bring someone down with me.

The cell door MOANS and CREAKS as it’s opened. Quitlove saunters in wearing a nice suit. He’s carrying a metal folding chair. Crestfall is aware of his entrance but can’t physically move her head to look at him. He sets the chair down in front of her. He fiddles with her IV drip and takes a seat.

QUITLOVE
Why, hello again Ms. Crest. Do you remember me?

Crestfall can’t respond. This irritates Quitlove a little.

QUITLOVE (CONT’D)
I’ve adjusted your fluids. The least you could do is acknowledge the courtesy. You should have a small resurgence of strength soon. I know we’ve had our differences but there’s no call for being uncivil.

Crestfall COUGHS out a painful LAUGH.

QUITLOVE (CONT’D)
I suppose you find this all very amusing.

When she speaks, it’s like a loud whisper.

CRESTFALL
Only a little.

QUITLOVE
What do you mean?

CRESTFALL
You can’t even face me yourself. You have this huge obsession with bringing me down and you can’t seem to even be in the same room with me unless I’m in a hospital or tied to a chair.

Quitlove leans forward and runs his hand down her cheek.

QUITLOVE
Bring you down? My dear, I want nothing more than to bring you up. I want you by my side. I need you here with me. Your genetic code holds the formula for a massive army, and you, sweet princess, will be their leader.

CRESTFALL
Why me?

QUITLOVE
Because of your sneaky father. That’s why. When he was removed from The Facility, he took with him just enough of his research to leave us running in circles. It was brought to my attention that he had been steadily injecting himself with samples. His intention with this was not to turn himself into a superior being, but to ensure that his future spawn would be protected.

CRESTFALL
Protected. Yeah. That worked out. Thanks Dad.

QUITLOVE
Intentions notwithstanding, you are here now. You’ve been humbled before my son, and now you can take your place at my side... daughter.

Her voice is definitely stronger.

CRESTFALL
Really? That’s your ploy? Take everything away from me then pretend that you want to create some kind of grotesque new family? A corporate magnate, a giant, and an angel? Quick, call Fox I’ve got an idea for a new show.

QUITLOVE
Trust me, my dear. I’m not being coy. I’m not messing around. Join me. My army is yours to lead. To command.

CRESTFALL
To create, you mean. You haven’t got an army. If you did, you wouldn’t have just sent Brute.

QUITLOVE
You are correct. I wanted you here at my side. Together we can show the world what it should be. I can rule it and you can police it.

CRESTFALL
Wow. Okay. Crazy much?

QUITLOVE
What is your final answer my dear. Choose your words carefully.

CRESTFALL
Choose my words carefully. Let’s see.

Quitlove leans close to her face. She has enough strength to hold her head up and look him in the eyes.

CRESTFALL (CONT’D)
Well with an offer like that how could I ever say “no”?

Quitlove grins.

QUITLOVE
Fantastic, my dear! Let’s get started on changing the world!

CRESTFALL
Oh! I know how. How about: Hell. No.

The grin drops from Quitlove’s face.

QUITLOVE
What?

CRESTFALL
I’m sorry. Did I stutter “dad”? I’m not going to lead your apocalyptic army of doom. I’m not even going to play cheerleader for your football team. I can’t stress enough exactly how much against you I actually am.

QUITLOVE
I understand.

CRESTFALL
No, I don’t think you do. What I’m saying is...

Before she can finish, Quitlove lunges towards her and punches her in the face, knocking her out cold. He pinches her IV to a slow drip and hits an intercom on the wall.

QUITLOVE
Theresa? Clear my date book. We’ve hit a small snag.

He storms out of the cell.

No comments: