Tuesday, October 26, 2010

It's Not That Easy Being Green

So I'm laying in my bed not reading or writing or cleaning or "being productive" (whatever that is), and I started to think about superheroes --try to save your shock and awe til the end of the piece please we have a long way to go-- and I started thinking about characters that have really piqued my interest as of late:

The Mask

The Incredible Hulk (and his son Skaar)

Green Lantern

Ragman

Green Hornet

These Guys

and of course... Green Arrow


The common theme here being that they're all definitely men. So I present Exhibit B:

Abigail Brand

Jade

Polaris

She-Hulk


Do you see what I'm getting at?

GREEN! Lots of green. I'm not anti-green or anything but I really just brainstormed those characters sitting on my bed. That doesn't even include people like Doctor Doom, Scorpion, Count Vertigo. The list goes on and on.

Now I know there are other colors used like blue (Captain America) and red (Daredevil) but for whatever reason green just seems to pop up everywhere.


Like that guy.

For whatever reason there's an abundance of green and I can dig that, I really can. What really astounds me though is what draws me to these characters. Similar themes of fathers (Incredible Hulk, Green Arrow, Green Hornet, Spidey and Green Goblin, THe Ninja Turtles), the stigma attached to something greater than themselves (a generic superhero theme to be sure but look at how the "green" heroes approach it, it's really cool) and a sense of unpredictability. All of these characters have noble intentions but can go completely crazy at the drop of a hat.

I don't know what it is, but I am totally digging this whole "going green" thing as far as super heros go.

Lesson over.

No comments: