Sunday, July 17, 2011

Writer's Block

(ramblings required for a post in class)

I don’t have a huge insight into writer’s block. I come across it daily and honestly I think it’s one of the things that have helped me become a better writer. Like right now for instance. I’m sitting at the table trying to put words on paper to describe the ideas in my head, and I can’t come up with anything better than what you’re reading right now.

If you take a look at what I wrote though, you’ll notice that I brought out the exact idea that I wanted to convey, and I did it in simple terms without over-thinking. Sometimes (for me) the best way to get over writer’s block is to just write.

I don’t have the direct quote but author Brian K. Vaughan once said something about how every writer has good words piled under a mountain of horrible ones, once you get all the horrible words out of the way, all that’s left are good ones. For me that says that no matter what I have to write words. I can only become a better writer.

I don’t have disciplined writing schedule. My biggest problem as a writer is that I just don’t take the time daily to write. When I do write, I write a lot but I’m working on writing little reviews for my friends’ blogs just to get in a deadline habit. The more writing I do, the faster I can get the horrible words out and get around to the good ones I know are in there.

No comments: